Admit it, sometimes you uninstall hardware without removing the driver first. Sometimes the hardware just dies and Windows makes it “go away.” The problem is, the driver and configuration are still there, and if you were using the default Microsoft drivers, there’s no visible way to uninstall those.
Here’s a workaround:
- Obtain an administrative command prompt (Start|All Programs|Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator)
- At the command prompt, type or paste:
- Then type:
- This will pop up a normal-looking Device Manager, in the menu of which click View|Show Hidden Devices
- Expand the relevant part of the tree and (with care) uninstall away!
Under IIS6, you used to be able to run this .vbs script at the command line to list all the running app pools and view their Proc Ids:
That script isn’t shipped with IIS7, and it wouldn’t run anyway without modification and the “IIS6 Management Compatibility” installed. Instead, you can use appcmd.exe to obtain similar information using this command line:
C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\appcmd list wp
Note, you will need to run the command line as administrator and be in one of the directories where appcmd.exe esists. I used the 32-bit example here, but on my 64-bit Windows 7 and Server 2008 machines, appcmd.exe exists in both of these directories and produces the same results:
Alt-F4 gives you the full local shutdown menu.
Of course you won’t be able to bring the machine back from most of these states remotely unless you have wake-on-LAN, remote power cycle, etc.
Add to Web.config for the web service application to address the following items:
- Publishing of inherited properties in the interface documentation
- Turning off the documentation completely
- Publishing the testing forms to remote clients
This comes up more often than we’d like. And while I’d love Microsoft to fix this and allow unlimited Remote Desktop connections to a server, it doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen. If you get the dreaded “The terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections” message, here’s how you can force connect and boot someone else:
Mstsc /v:192.168.0.x /admin /F
It used to be /console instead of /admin, but that went away in XP SP3.
But let’s be clear on what the real fix here is: Microsoft needs to release the 2-user limit on administrator connections for servers that are never going to be used as interactive applications servers. If I’m setting up a new web server or SQL server, there’s no reason I shouldn’t be able to have three or five or 10 administrators logged in at once.
I’ve done the requisite google searching on this one and can’t find a solution, so I’m posting about it in case anyone has an answer…
Server is up to date with Windows Server 2003 Standard x64, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 with family updates installed.
Anyone have any further suggestions?
Just got bitten by the IE7 (or IE8 “compatability view”) has layout bug yet again, so posting it…
Basically, in the IE7/IE8cv you can only check .clientHeight on elements where hasLayout==true. If your clientHeight is always returning 0, chances are you don’t have layout. The easiest way to get layout? Set display=”inline-block”. Per:
And that article points to this one, which is pretty much the definitive source (top Google hit!):
height:1% is what I ended up using to make a resizable div “hasLayout.”
display: inline-block makes the div not size to the window horizontally, which didn’t work for my purpose.
I tried using overflow:hidden, but that doesn’t help in IE6.
If you need to create a “data dump” for Microsoft SQL Server, here’s a good free tool:
The one thing I haven’t gotten working is any way to automatically add the “SET INDENTITY_INSERT ON/OFF” statements bracketing a table which contains an identity when not using the @ommit_identity = 1 switch. It might be in the comments, I just didn’t dig through it.
I’ll attach them in case that page ever goes away.
SQL 2000 Version
SQL 2005 Version
Went to send a fax today on my Lenovo Z61t and the fax service was completely missing, which is strange since I’ve faxed from this machine before. When I tried to reinstall got the 0x4b8 error. The fix was this line:
esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb
From this forum thread.
I’ve come up with a new 80/20 rule for working with Microsoft development products (but it may be universal):
- The first 80% is easy, if not already done for you.
- The second 18% is hard, often requiring an undocumented set of hacks to accomplish.
- The last 2% is impossible.
In my experience, somewhere around 83% you hit diminishing returns. At 97% you’re bleeding from the eyes.